What is not to love about getting sober in a resort setting? Numerous drug and alcohol rehabilitation centers across the United States are designed to make your recovery as stress-free as possible. An extravagant manor or hotel might look like the dreamland to recover after a difficult time with addiction.
A luxury drug & alcohol treatment center may not be right for everyone. You may feel like the most expensive facilities spend too much on luxurious amenities and not enough on the important psychological connections that are needed for a successful recovery.
What is Luxury Rehab?
A luxury rehab takes a loose and comfortable approach to drug or alcohol rehabilitation. They even offer a relaxing environment with gorgeous outdoor spaces, fine dining options, and other amenities that patients can indulge in while they recover from addiction.
These rehab centers are labeled as “luxury” rehab centers because they can get quite expensive, starting anywhere from $40,000 to $80,000, so it’s not a lie when they are compared to high-end resorts. Patients will usually be able to use a swimming pool, a massage therapist, and other luxurious activities such as horseback riding. However, the main focus is always to treat drug and alcohol addiction.
Luxury rehab centers are unique because they combine these amenities with traditional rehabilitation programs and they may even allow some flexibility on what types of programs are utilized by each patient. For example, patients may be able to choose what type of therapy program will fit best for them, such as group therapy, one-on-one counseling, music therapy, acupuncture and animal-assisted therapies.
Is Luxury Rehab More Effective Than Other Types of Rehab?
There is no substantial evidence that one type of rehab works better than another. The effectiveness of a rehab is all based on whether or not the rehab offers what the patient needs and whether or not the rehab is able to teach patients the necessary steps to combat addiction. Some patients feel more at ease in luxury rehab centers while others say that it is too tempting to skip the hard work involved in truly healing from addiction. For those who are looking for something different, luxury treatment centers may be the answer you are looking for to begin the journey of recovery.
Advantaged & Disadvantages of Drug & Alcohol Treatment Centers
You will feel like you’re on a luxury vacation with the surroundings and amenities that are provided in luxury drug & alcohol treatment centers. Of course, this is reflected in the price. Like everything in life, there are advantages and disadvantages of luxury rehab that you will have to consider before making any final decisions.
- Solitude: Luxury drug & alcohol treatment centers promise unrivaled privacy and confidentiality. High-profile individuals who are struggling with alcohol or drug abuse often choose luxury treatment centers to escape the media.
- Specialized treatment: Luxury rehabs are known for offering more options in their 12-step recovery process. As stated earlier, you may have more freedom to choose the treatment programs that will work best for you.
- Ultimate comfort: Even the wealthiest of all will feel at home in a luxurious rehab center. Only top notch furnishing and linens will be offered, as well as the best service you could only imagine getting at a 5-star resort. Many people in these rehabs require a longer period of time to recover but are willing to spend the extra money on the amenities and care of luxury rehab.
- Mental illness alleviation: Luxurious amenities and activities can temporarily alleviate mental illnesses, such as depression, anxiety, and more. Participants may find it easier to relax in this setting which can help them heal.
- Amenities, amenities, amenities: One of the best parts about luxury treatment centers is all of the amenities that are offered to help patients relax and recuperate outside of therapy sessions. Depending on the rehab center, there are many amenities that can be offered, including swimming pools, hot tubs, tennis courts, spas, and fun activities like hiking or horseback riding.
- Higher price tags don’t always guarantee higher success rates: Luxury rehabs are more expensive than traditional rehab centers. However, paying more for rehabilitation is not a promise that the care will be better than a traditional rehab that is nearby. It is all dependent on what you are looking for in order to recover.
- Amenities can be a roadblock: Many patients that chose luxury treatment centers disclose that they did not feel that they were able to receive the necessary treatment despite enjoying their time there. For some, the vacation-like feeling of luxury rehabs cause them to focus on the amenities rather than the care they need. This can lead to troubles staying sober once out of rehab..
- With great freedom comes great responsibility: Patients do not usually have the same knowledge that therapists do in the sense of choosing the correct type of therapy or how much therapy is needed in the recovery process. Allowing patients to have a say in their recovery process is absolutely necessary, but too much freedom can cause confusion and lead to bumps on the road to overcome drug addiction.
Substitutes For Luxury Treatment Centers
Drug and alcohol treatment centers are typically separated into three categories: luxury, institutional, and retreat-style. There are substitutes if you cannot afford luxury rehab and they may be a better fit for you.
Rehab in Institutions
The cheapest option out of the three is to go to an institution for rehabilitation. Patients may have fewer amenities, cafeteria-style food, multiple roommates, and may be subject to frequent interruptions. Because of this, these centers’ main focus is on treating drug or alcohol addiction through the 12-step program.
Institutional rehab programs can be paid for through your private insurance, Medicare, or Medicaid. It makes rehab more affordable, but it can also mean that their programs are not created with success rates and individualized comfort in mind. Dorm-style rooms are usually offered at these rehabs in which you will be assigned a roommate. Unfortunately, you may be around people who are not as focused on their sobriety because some may only be there by order of the court. Of course, there is no guarantee that this will be the case nor is it like this in every instance.
Rehab in Retreat-Style
A retreat-style rehab facility is another option that’s less well-known. It is the perfect medium between luxury and institutional rehabilitation. Retreat-style centers provide a secure and private environment with less distractions. This option has less amenities that luxury rehabs because it focuses more on treatment for drug and alcohol addiction first and foremost.
A retreat-style drug rehab center is still on the pricey side, and can cost anywhere from $20,000 to $40,000. However, this makes it more likely that you will only be around other individuals who are interested in healing from addiction. Private rooms are more likely but dorm-style rooms are also available at select rehab centers.
While retreat-style rehab centers don’t provide the luxurious amenities that luxury rehabs do, there are still some amazing amenities to choose from. There are relaxing activities such as reading, meditation, yoga, hiking, and even dual diagnosis treatment with horses. Retreat-style treatment centers provide a lot of peace and relaxation but they still do not provide the high-end amenities that luxury treatment centers provide.
Years and years ago, there were little to no options for those who were looking to conquer their addictions. However, there have been many improvements in the field and recovering addicts have numerous choices on which drug & alcohol treatment center will provide them with the highest quality treatment possible. Do some research today on drug and alcohol treatment centers near you to discover your options of addiction recovery.